Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Simplify. . .

Last night my bedtime reading material (doesn't everyone read to unwind?) was the conference edition of the Ensign which came in the mail! Frankie had told me about Dieter Uchtdorf's message in the priesthood session and suggested I read it. He has never led me astray thus far so I dove right in!

I suppose the caption sums up his talk, "Every priesthood holder stands at a unique place and has an important task that only he can perform." This could be said of all, he was just speaking in a priesthood session. I really doubt sometimes my importance in the BIG picture. However, my small little contribution CAN only be done by me. I really do try to do what is right and be a help to those around me. Anyway. . .

I jumped right into a talk I remembered by L. Tom Perry, his caption, "In our search to obtain relief from the stresses of life, may we earnestly seek ways to simplify our lives." He talks about Thoreau's experiences at Walden Pond. Thoreau determined we need four basic things: food, shelter, clothing and fuel. Sometimes we complicate life, don't we? I am grateful for the blessings of these four items in my life. My favorite quote from this talk was William Bradford,

"In righteousness there is great simplicity.
In every case that confronts us in life
there is either a right way or a wrong way to proceed.
If we choose the right way, we are sustained in our actions
by the principles of righteousness, in the which there is power from the heavens.
If we choose the wrong way and act on that choice,
there is no such heavenly promise or power,
and we are along and are destined to fail."
Okay, I need all the help I can get, I hope that I choose mostly right ways. . .
Well, I have stalled as long as possible. I accidentally erased my quicken data and now must recreate some of it. . . AAGH! I am wondering if I must recreate it all. . .nope don't think so. Procrastination is my middle name, but alas I must begin. . .

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I paid more attention to conference this time than I usually do. I was helping Bailey fill out a cute little primary packet about conference, so I really had to listen. I got so much out of it! I also liked the lesson to simplify our lives. For the past year that has been one of my goals...so that must be why that same talk struck me. In this life, we always need that reminder. Thanks for your thoughts :)!

Brett - Rachel B said...

I love that poem. It's the kind of insightfulness I can stick in my pocket and will help me see things more clearly as I go through my day. Very good indeed.